Taking a little time now to properly winterize your plumbing can save you lots in frustration, time and money later on. Harsh winter months are especially hard on plumbing. Pipes can freeze causing them to burst when it warms up a little; plus the cold weather makes your plumbing system work harder. Here are a few tips to get your plumbing ready for winter. Many of these are things you can do yourself. For anything you don’t feel comfortable doing, or anything you feel needs a “professional touch”, call the pros at Firkus Plumbing.
Winter Plumbing Tips:
- Insulate Your Water Pipes. Many homes are built with crawl spaces, which means, the water pipes run through the crawl space and are prone to freezing in the winter. Simply insulating the pipes will reduce this risk and also cut down on your energy costs.
- Turn Off Water to Your Outside Faucets. You should always remove hoses before winter weather sets in. Putting an insulator on the spigot also helps.
- Perform Water Heater Maintenance. Water Heater Maintenance is a simple and cost effective way to significantly extend the life of your water heater. Having this done by the professionals at Firkus Plumbing will also give our professionals the opportunity to check your system to make sure it’s ready to survive the winter.
- Purge the Water From Your Sprinkler System. Prevent costly repairs due to frozen pipes by having air blown to purge water from your sprinkler system.
- Learn Where Your Main Water Shutoff Valve Is. Emptying the pipes before you go away on vacation will prevent coming home to frozen or busted water pipes. A Firkus Plumbing technician can come to secure all your plumbing before the cold invades your empty home.
Call Firkus Plumbing today at 541-382-7710. We’ve been the family name in Central Oregon Plumbing since 1971, and we’re happy to serve you!